Tuesday, July 12, 2016


I found a Orthopedic specialist that i trust. His name is Dr. Saltzman. He is the head of Orthopedic Medicine at the University or Utah. I met with him and he gave me a second opinion on my foot. He agreed that my tibial sesmoid bone had died from avascular necrosis. He pointed out to me that the top part of the bone had already disconnected from the bone. There is a small chance that the bone could heal but there are no definitive findings and I would have to not be active for a full year to see if it would heal. Because part of the bone was already falling apart I decided to have surgery July 5th 2016.

As a side note: I am so glad I didn't go with the first doctor I talked to. He was going to do the surgery from the top of my foot and he would have mutilated it. When I told Dr. Saltzman what the other sergeon planned on he agreed it would not have been a good choice.

Surgery went well. My foot pain was minor compared to what I had expected. I traveled from Salt Lake to Grand Junction CO immediately after surgery. I actually felt great.  I had to stop every 50 minutes to walk around on crutches and I had to pee a lot. I am guessing they pumped me full of saline. I regretted how active I was one the ride home the next day. Note to self, do not go flying around on crutches when you are as high as a kite. My arms and chest where sore for days.
The hardest part of the surgery for me are the restrictions they have given me. Before surgery I was planning on two weeks no walking and an additional 6 weeks walking with a boot. Because of not having sufficient tissue on the bottom of my foot I have to stay off of my foot for 6 weeks and then walk with the boot for an additional 4 weeks. It is a little discouraging to have it change so dramatically. I also can't drive for 6 weeks because it was my right foot that was worked on. I have three kids and there summer for the next six weeks is going to be a struggle.

It has been a week and I am feeling good. Sleeping is a struggle in my boot. It is hard to get comfortable. I stopped taking the narcotics a day after I got home. Motrin was enough to help with the pain. I left my foot completely alone for the first 3 days. On day 4 I felt like my foot was swelling and I loosened the bandage a bit to help with comfort. Today I finally changed the bandage and packing for the first time and i took a look at my incision. It looks way worse than I thought it would be.  I thought it would be smaller. Overall I have had a good experience. Having crutches and a knee scooter have helped tremendously.

No comments:

Post a Comment